Monday, September 16, 2019

A Few Simple Words

So last Wednesday was a really rough day for me.  Like super rough.  I did not like myself at all.  We are down to one car right now, so I am driving Hoss into work each day.  This should not be that big a deal and it really is not, but the mornings have been busier than usual because of it.  I was already feeling behind even though we really were not.  I also wanted to chat with a few friends and just be without all the pressures of the world.  Anyways, enough rambling, let me just tell you the story.
I went to make Hoss a quick breakfast and get his lunch made while he took a shower.  No real issue there.  I go to pull the coffee pot out, and realize the kids had left the instapot out from the night before.  In my haste, to get the coffee going, I moved the instapot onto the stove top.  I went about rushing around making breakfast and lunch for my sweet man, but every once in a while I would smell something burning.  I went over several times to check on the coffee and then the burner that had held the eggs.  Nothing.  Nada.  All good.  Finally as I go to look for a coffee cup I see a small bit of steam?  Smoke perhaps?  I stand there looking at our burners trying to figure out if I'd inadvertently spilled something on the burner.  Nope.  Then I look down and the light for one of my rear burners is on.  What?  I quickly realized when I had scooted the instapot over I had also turned the dial on the back burner.  My instapot was melting like the witch from the Wizard of Oz!  I moved it quickly and began to clean up the mess.
As I'm doing the clean up of the stinky sticky plastic mess fear creeps over me like a blanket I could not pull off.  Hoss and I were minutes from leaving our home to take him to work.  Round trip could be 40-45 minutes long.   All of our children and our house guest and her kiddos were sound asleep.  What would have happened had I not realized the blunder I had made.
With a heavy heart I went to tell Hoss what had happened.  His response was surprise, concern, and worry, but he said, "I'm glad you caught it.  It's going to be okay.  Accidents happen."  His words did nothing to dispel my sad heart.  Thinking of all our children and our guests at home while the fire smoldered just made me sick to my stomach.  It hurt my heart in a way I cannot describe.
As the day wore on I kept explaining to Hoss my feelings.  How it really was bothering me.  He kept saying he understood and yes, things could have turned out different, but they did not.  It did little to ease my concerns.  I was aching inside of the "could of, would of, should ofs," that assaulted my brain.  The few blog friends I shared with were all reassuring.  No one thought I deserved to be spanked and from what I could tell from Hoss, he did not plan to, but it did nothing to improve my mood.
That evening, after a long day of beating myself up, Hoss said we needed to talk.  I was for sure he had decided to spank me.  At the very least, to ease my guilt that was overflowing everywhere.  He did not.  He told me something that mended my hurting heart.  That truly expressed to me what he truly thought.

"Baker, you are beating yourself up, but the thing is.  You're the hero in this situation."

"Wait, what????"  Was this man insane?  I almost burned the house down while the kids were sleeping.  What was he thinking.

"You're the hero," he repeated.  "You kept checking until you figured out the problem.  Had you not been insistent things would have turned out so much differently.  I'm thankful you did that."

Now, I was melting like a Popsicle on a hot summer's day.  He knew that I needed to hear that.  He knew it would be better than a spanking to hear that he did not see me as all those horrible things I kept telling myself.   That he still loved me in spite of what I believed about myself.

In that moment, everything was cleared for me.  My man loved me.  That he was proud of me.  And I'm so thankful for him.  In the real world things happen.  I'm just grateful he was able to help me refocus in his gentle, sweet way.  I'm so blessed.

--Baker




14 comments:

  1. Its so sweet Hoss telling you that you are the hero in this scenario. Its so true too, you saved the day and the house from bursting into flames. Pity you weren't reassured earlier though so you didn't spend the whole day beating yourself up.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lindy Lou,
      I do believe it was super sweet too. I think the problem is that he was saying it was okay, but I was so busy beating myself up that I was not in a place that I was willing to listen...if that makes any sense. Thanks, bestie, for being such a listening ear though, it really helped.
      --Baker

      Delete
  2. So beautifully written and oh so true. Hoss knew exactly what you needed, words of comfort and a reaffirmation of how much he trusts, loves and admires you. You knew something was wrong and you trusted your gut and kept looking.
    Our mind can so easily entwined with the coulda shoulda woulda's of this world. I'm so glad you were able to realise and accept the 'did' and move on with Hoss' words of love and encouragement.
    Hugs to you dear friend
    Love Kanga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, Kanga, that makes so much sense about the coulda shoulda woulda and I did do so much of that. Thanks for your encouraging words.
      --Baker

      Delete
  3. Hi Baker,

    What wonderful, reassuring words from Hoss, he knew exactly what you needed and I am so glad he was able to help you refocus. As our dear friends above said. Hoss was right, you knew something was wrong and was vigilant and kept looking and solved the problem before any harm was done. You were indeed the hero in the situation. I only wish the reassurance had occurred earlier.

    Much love,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Roz, I think my stubbornness played a part in the hearing the words I needed to hear. It took a face to face sit down to get me to hear him...I am always thankful he knows how to get my attention. Thanks for being so kind with your words.
      --Baker

      Delete
  4. How lovely that Hoss managed to stop the merry-go-round in your head in such a sweet and lovely way, to reassure you that you are as wonderful as always.

    Hugs Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo,
      Hoss is good at that most of the time...stopping that stupid merry-go-round. I appreciate your words. We all often forget that things happen and it's up to those we love to help bring us back around. Hugs!
      --Baker

      Delete
  5. This is absolutely beautiful. We are alike - I would have been beating myself up as well. But you know what? Your Hoss was absolutely correct. You were a hero. And so was he. You two obviously belong together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, Deena, thank you. I'm so thankful everyone understands and is so encouraging. It took alot for me to write this, because it was really a tough day, but I appreciate everyone's kind words.
      --Baker

      Delete
  6. sweet post...glad he was able to give you the reassurance you needed... hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terps! I was so thankful he was able to, too.
      --Baker

      Delete
  7. Today I am trying to make a few visits around blogland. It has been a long while and I miss all of you!

    So glad this turned out the way it did. Of course, Hoss was right. Negligence is one thing, and an accident is another. No more beating up on yourself, Baker.

    Hugs From Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Ella, it always brightens my day to hear from you! I hope you are doing well. You are right, an accident is something else altogether and thankfully Hoss knew the difference.
      --Baker

      Delete