Wednesday, December 5, 2018

The Great Cookie Exchange

Hear ye! Hear ye!  It's that time again for the Great Cookie Exchange!  I know that I have not been around as much as I would like, but if there's one thing that can get me blogging is brand spanking new recipes!  (Had to get spanking in there somehow!)  So I dug around the old recipe cards in the box and came up with two that are very new recipes to our family.  Now, the dilemma set in on which to use.  I'd recently looked these recipes up and even on my first go, I Baker-tized them!  Folks, I'm just not that good at following a recipe...even the very first time.  Thankfully, Hoss, has sort of kind of grown accustomed to my ability to improvise and therefore I bring ye the top two recipes of the fall season (at least at our house)!
German Peppernuts or Pfeffernusse (this is not my sister's recipe)  The kids and I made this for a class project not too long ago and it makes tons of these little German cookies.  They smell divine and I would NOT double this unless you want to make a ton!  We made the mistake of doubling it, because with a ton of kids cookies do not last long at all.  Well, in this case they did!
German Peppernut (Pfeffernusse) Recipe

1 cup softened butter (two sticks)
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 cup molasses
1 egg
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon anise seed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix together butter, sugar, molasses and egg until well blended.  Mix the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl.  Add to molasses mixture until flour can no longer be seen.   Roll out the dough to about 1 inch thick log (makes cutting them much faster and makes them round not square).  Refrigerate for an hour.  Before baking cut into one inch squares.  Bake at 350 degrees for 9-10 minutes.  You want the tops to be lightly browned as this is meant to be a crisp cookie.

Our second recipe is truly a brand new one for me.  I have not made Key Lime Pie in ages and really wanted one for Thanksgiving.  This recipe was one I just had to share because it truly is a rich and creamy pie and one that Hoss and our oldest daughter fell in love with and will now be a favorite forever.
Key Lime Pie (for two pies)

Two premade graham cracker crusts (or make your own)

3 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup of lime juice
1/2 cup of lemon juice
3 tablespoons lime zest

Preheat oven to 359 degrees.

Mix together sweeten condensed milk, sour cream, lemon juice, lime juice and lime zest.   Pour into the graham cracker pie crust.  Bake for 5-6 minutes until tiny pinhole sized bubbles burst on the surface of the pie.  You are not trying to brown the pie, just bake it to set.  Chill pie and serve with whipped cream.

Seriously the creamiest key lime pie I have ever tasted.  It is a light lime flavor, not overly powering.
Other participants of the Great Cookie Exchange are listed below!


I do hope you all enjoy these recipes as much as we do!

Much love,
Baker and Hoss

20 comments:

  1. Hi Baker! My dad loves Pfeffernusse cookies so we make that often at Christmastime for him. The key lime pie sounds delicious...may have to try it sometime. :-) I have a hard time following a recipe exactly too! :-) Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terps! I'm so thankful I am not the only one to confess that! I do hope you give them a try!
      --Baker

      Delete
  2. I like the simplicity of your key lime pie recipe, and especially the fact that it's vegetarian. (I often see recipes that call for gelatin.) I may have to give that one a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hope you give it a go, Mrs. Fever! It really is a simple, yet tasty recipe.
      --Baker

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking I should try some pfeffernusse... you may have just made up my mind for me! And I love key lime pie - but haven't ever tried my hand at one. Looks like this one may be changing things for me!

    Thanks for playing along! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in Jz, I do hope you give the recipes a try. I'm so happy I was able to get two recipes that I'd grown to love out to share!
      --Baker

      Delete
  4. I love pfeffernusse and I LOOOOVE Key Lime pie. I am going to try both of these, post haste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Little Monkey, I'm so happy you like the recipes. They are both really yummy! Thanks for stopping by!
      --Baker

      Delete
  5. Hi Baker, :) I've never tried to make key lime pie before! YUMMM!

    I've never heard of pfeffernusse before. I'm going to have to give these a try! More YUM!!! Many hugs,

    ❤️Katie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, Katie, they are new ones to our family and they were well loved by the kiddos! Thanks for taking time to say hi!
      --Baker

      Delete
  6. Hi Baker, Oh my this is making my mouth water. I have never had key lime pie, it looks so good. Will have to add that recipe to my stash. Now you have used the other word to peppernuts I know what you mean. We can buy them over here in a packet and they come with icing on top, or frosting as you may call it.
    Thanks for the two recipes. YUMMO!
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up, Bestie! I couldn't remember how to spell it when we talked before...I'm a goof. The key lime pie was crazy good and Hoss and our oldest daughter loved it! I hope you give it a try. It's traditionally a summer pie here, so perfect for your hot weather you've been getting lately!
      --Baker

      Delete
  7. Hi Baker,

    Oh yum, these recipes look so good! Thank you for sharing. Love the Cookie Monster pics too, especially the first one :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roz, I do too. I love to bake for my friends and family, so it fit perfectly with my thought process for this post. I'm so happy to be able to receive so many recipes as well. This whole cookie exchange had my mouth watering the whole time! SO MANY Wonderful recipes!
      --Baker

      Delete
  8. Oh those look like wonderful recipes! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fondles, I'm happy you liked them! Thanks so much for coming by and saying hi!
      --Baker

      Delete
  9. Never eaten key lime pie so might just have to try it. Thanks.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my! I've never had pfeffernusse, although they sound delicious, but I LOVE Key Lime Pie. I might actually have to make that. My Sir will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A key lime pie even i can't mess up? Thank you, from me and #2 Son!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Baker,
    I have been away from Blogland for weeks, and this is the day I have been visiting old friends. I think all the unexpected stress started just about the time the Cookie Exchange was on. Just wanted to wish you a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, little friend.

    Hugs From Ella

    ReplyDelete