Thursday, January 5, 2017

Baker and the Slippers Slope

I was reading over at Leigh’s place, The Sweetest Gift, and I'm totally sending my sympathies her way. Managing a household with kids and being ill at the same time is never a picnic.  I’m there right now myself, but I have the luxury of having older kids around towards the end of the day to help out with the younger ones when mom is just done.  Finished.  Someone’s not making it till Daddy gets home kind of days.  So I’m sending Leigh my hugs and prayers and trying to get through my day right along with her.  So my post kind of piggybacks off of Leigh’s with a slightly different perspective.  
For Leigh!

That said, I have my own slippers slope to deal with this day.  I am crazed out on steroids, but finally think I’m getting ahead of things in the sickness department.  I was up until almost 2 this morning and well, I was awaken by our youngest at 3:30 who did not settle immediately and then, well, I was awake again. 
Our youngest is no longer a baby, but Hoss slept through most of my late night hours!

I woke up again when sweet Hoss’ alarm went blaring.  I kid you not the man does not have a normal alarm.  He has one of those that literally screams at you to get up.  I wake up to sweet little chimes, he wakes up to that screaming, noisy, (you get the picture) things that’s trying to wake the dead two counties over. 
Evil alarm clock!

I did my best and actually got about 45 more minutes this morning before again I awoke. Growl, surprisingly, I did not.  No, I was energizer bunny even before I had the morning dose of meds.  Yay, me!
I love this little bunny rabbit, could totally relate to him today!

Being the energizer bunny has it’s advantage, except when you just cannot think from one task to another to get sidetracked by squirrels all day long.  
Thankfully did not see one of these today!

Not the real squirrels, no those were smart enough to avoid me while I was driving, but those distractions that take my attention away from the tasks I was trying desperately to do. 
That was me, today!

Let’s just say that I have not made much sense today and I probably should not even be allowed to blog, but alas, I am, because it’s really a funny kind of day.  

I needed to run the littlest to school and for the life of me I could not get my fingers to cooperate.  I could not zip up my own coat.  I’d manage the little man’s coat fine, but after several tries I was about to give up when it finally took.  I had several of these little episodes throughout the day with things being complicated that normally are not.  I tried to comment on Leigh’s blog and was for certain my brain had taken a vacation as blogger ate the thing three times for some unknown reason.  I’m going with operator error here.  What do you all think?
Yup, everyone had a ton of patience with me today, thankfully!

So I went to pick the Little Man up from school and got a hot chocolate on the way home.  A large hot chocolate and the med did not mix well.  
Yummy!

I thought I would be bouncing, no.  The caffeine took a different approach.  It made me cranky.  Now, I am a cranky, wired, distracted mess that literally could only concentrate on folding clothes and matching socks.  
'
Not quite that bad, but sure felt like a mountain to overcome at the time!

Can I just tell you it took me two hours to fold and put away two baskets because I was so distracted by every little thing and alas, my hands would not, could not roll a pair of socks for nothing.  So, thinking I’m making progress I go to run another errand and got me another, you guessed it, hot chocolate.  
Yummy times two!

Why?  I have no idea.  I guzzle those things, folks.  It was not like it was really helping with the cough, which was what I kept telling myself.  Though in hindsight, it was probably the only thing I think keeping me upright.  So, I’m home and feeling like I can make it through the next hour or so until the man arrives.  What will happen then?  He has not been spanking me whilst I’m sick, so I have a feeling he will take over and let this very tired lady go to bed.  Just hope I can actually get some rest because I’m still feeling pretty high and cranky from all the caffeine.  
That's probably true today.

Oh, and by the way the slippers slope idea came from the fact that when I went to pick up my little man I did not realize I left the house in my slippers.
Yes, I was that mom.  

The one who looked ragged and worn out wearing slippers to pick her kid up from school.  Yeah, just be thankful, folks, I was not still in my pajamas.   I know people that have shown up with mismatched shoes, so at least I was matching!   Yeah, I’m thinking tomorrow has to be better, but at least today was entertaining!

Yup!  That's a good reminder!

--Baker
bakercarlisle1Cor13@gmail.com

18 comments:

  1. Those alarms, uck! They are not my friend or my bottoms as for some reason they make me cranky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, S,
      I'm an early riser most days and don't mind a nice sounding alarm, but that one's for the birds!
      --Baker

      Delete
  2. Oh Baker, I'm sorry but I couldn't help giggling. You poor thing, sounds like you had quite a day! I'm sorry you are also dealing with sickness. I read Leigh's post also and feel for you both trying to carry on and take care of kiddos while under the weather. Wishing you both a speedy recovery.

    As for the alarm clock, it is definitely my enemy!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz,
      No worries here. Things are improving and it appears I'm finally on the up and up. Thanks for your sweet words. Yes, the alarm clock is not fun. I much prefer to be awaken by softer alarm choices.
      --Baker

      Delete
  3. I love that you could turn your "not so good day" into an entertaining blog post. Hope today is better, and you are feeling much chipper soon.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Abby,
      I'm actually doing better today. Meds finally seem to be getting ahead of things. I giggled at myself too, it was just such a brain fog kind of day.
      --Baker

      Delete
  4. Wow Baker,
    That is quite the day😳 Two large hot chocolates would have had me buzzing along as well. At least you found a tasty treat to help get you through a rough day. I chuckled at the slippers... Totally done it🙋🏼 and I couldn't figure out why I was so comfy, until I went to get out of the car😂😳 oh well... I hope you are feeling better soon, this sick thing is highly over-rated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Leigh, totally and utterly agree that being sick is overrated. I'd much rather be doing life then stuck in bed. I realized I had my slippers on when I got out of the van and my feet felt slightly cold. That was my duh moment. Lol. Glad you and your family are on the mend too.
      --Baker

      Delete
  5. I am not a morning person and have a love affair with snooze alarms so have to have loud alarms that are far enough away from the bed to make me get up and walk to them. If I have to be out of the house for something important, I will set two or three alarms with the times staggered. Sorry you haven't felt well...sending prayers and healing energy that you get better soon!

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cat, I am feeling better so far today. Fingers are crossed it will hold. Afternoons seem to be worse because I think I have all this energy and then don't.

      Yes, Hossa used to set an alarm across the room to wake himself up. We remedied that because I usually set mine and wake up quickly, then his will go off a minute or two later. If he doesn't wake up right away I start tapping his arm or rubbing vigorously on his shoulder until he turns the stupid thing off. It works here better than me having to get out of a nice warm bed to go turn the alarm off for him, which is what occurred when it as across the room.
      --Baker

      Delete
  6. Don't know what to say here Baker except I got a good laugh out of your post even at your expense!! I know what you mean about those steroids. They definitely can play a number on you for sure. I hope things are settling down in your neck of the woods and that you and your family are having a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Annabelle,
      I'm glad I gave you a good laugh, that was definitely my hope. Even in the midst of things I would catch myself giggling at the silliness of it all. Yes, yesterday, finally felt like I could take a deep breath and breathe again. My mind is beginning to feel clearer too, so, yes I think I'm finally on the up and up. Happy New Year to you as well!
      --Baker

      Delete
  7. Just catching up around the land baker. Hope you're feeling better by now, Always hard having to do all the mummy jobs whilst sick.

    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lindy, it is hard. Hope you are on the up and up as well. I finally feel human again.
      --Baker

      Delete
  8. Baker,
    I have been so sick for the last week, that I have not visited anyone in ages. At least you and Leigh are still alive. I was beginning to think this cold/flu/whatever was terminal. When will it end?

    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ella, you too? I had no idea so many were feeling yucky. Sorry to hear you've been feeling so badly. I have just started to come out of this yuckiness and hope I've finally kicked it now. I think I've been fighting this since mid December, so I'm right there with you with wanting it to be done and over with and on the road to recovery. Prayiny you continue to improve. You've been missed.
      --Baker

      Delete
  9. Hope you are feeling all better...sending good thoughts

    ReplyDelete