Thursday, November 24, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wishing each one of you a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving Day!   I am grateful for many things this day and feel very blessed to live in this beautiful country of ours.   I am thankful for God, my loving man, my beautiful children, extended family, friends-old and new (including all of you), and all the plentiful things that make my life easy and simple that I take for granted on a daily basis.



I leave you with a few pieces from the Proclamation for Thanksgiving Day that President Abraham Lincoln decreed to bring our great nation together for a day of thanks for your thoughts and consideration.  (This is not the whole proclamation which is lengthy and wordy, but these were my two favorite passages).  Hope you enjoy it!


October 3, 1863

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God....................

It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens............




--Baker

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Thanksgiving tribute, Baker! Thank you so much for sharing. Wishing you and yours a very loving and happy Thanksgiving!

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Cat! I'm really glad you enjoyed the tribute! When I was in college I worked in the library and my boss was the resident historian who knew everything about Thanksgiving! Learned a ton from him about this holiday that was not taught in school.
      --Baker

      Delete
  2. Hi Baker, Happy Thanksgiving, hope you have a great celebration.
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan,
      Even though you do not celebrate Thanksgiving, I pray you have a great day as well! Only 30 days until Christmas!
      --Baker

      Delete
  3. Lovely post Baker. Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving.Hope you have a wonderful day.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Roz,
      Thank you for the warm wishes! Praying today goes well too! Need to put the turkey in the oven, ham's already cooked! Yummy smells coming from the kitchen. I hope you have a blessed day!
      --Baker

      Delete
  4. Thank you to my absolutely favorite president and you to for sharing his words of wisdom with us.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving, Leigh,
      Absolutely love Abe Lincoln too! He was very wise and so influential. Happy Thanksgiving to you all as well! Now, back to getting the rolls made, so they can rise.
      --Baker

      Delete
  5. May peace and blessings be upon you, this special and all days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Don!
      I hope the same for you too!
      --Baker

      Delete
  6. Baker,
    Happy Turkey Day!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To you too, my friend, and each of those you love!
      --Baker

      Delete
  7. Hi Baker, :) I hope that you and your family had a lovely day yesterday. I love your post! It is so neat to look back on the words of Abe Lincoln, proclaiming the holiday. Thank you for sharing! Have a nice holiday weekend! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie,
      I love learning about history! It was my favorite subject in school and still is one of my favorite things to learn about. Hope you and yours had a most excellent time with your loved ones.
      --Baker

      Delete
  8. Nice post! I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving! We certainly did! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lilli,
      Yes, I read your post, it sounded like you had a lovely time. Yes, we had a good day. It turned out really well. God bless!
      --Baker

      Delete
  9. A little late in commenting here, I am just catching up on my reading post Thanksgiving. I really enjoyed this post, very thoughtful in it's message. I hope that you and your family had a blessed and fun filled Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Annabelle,
      No worries, I'm still trying to catch up on things. Hope your Thanksgiving Day was wonderful as well. Yes, we had lovely day. I'm really happy you enjoyed the post.
      --Baker

      Delete