Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Repeat Offender


I am a repeat offender.  I make the same mistakes over and over again and expect different results.  I know, that's kind of the definition of insanity, and I will not plead that as my case.  I just do not always know how to get control of this thing attached to my mouth called my tongue.  It seems to get the better of me most days.  People who used to know me prior to being married and having children would say I had amazing control of my tongue and knew when to hold it and when to speak.  Now, not so much.  Now, I tend to speak whatever I am thinking (or not thinking in some cases) and those things come pouring out with amazing speed and well, to be honest here, it gets me in trouble.  Like, um, let's just say trouble of mammoth proportions.

So, guess who's working on taming her tongue?  Her attitude?  Her tact?  Yup, me.  I am known for being sweet and kind, but my family can feel the brunt of my temper.  Sarcasm is usually my weapon of choice and unfortunately, my kind, thoughtful children are beginning to I inherit this ability.  That of course was never my intention, but it happens.  They do what we do and not what we say (okay, they do repeat what I say sometimes, but I am not helping my case here.)

Well, my hubby does not like me to have a sarcastic attitude.  He says it is rude and disrespectful.  You know where this is going correct?  I become surly and negative when I am sarcastic.  I do not know when to quiet myself and become submissive.  It's funny, that when I do find myself trying to control my tongue I bow my head down and close my eyes and breathe deeply.   I know, very submissive, right?  When I am not attempting to control my tongue I am very animated.   My man would prefer me to take those deep breaths and get myself under control before speaking.  I struggle with this.  I like to have the last word.  I do not like what he has to say.  I want to be right.  Well, that's how things used to be ALL the time.  Now, well, there are consequences that are not fun when I get “snarky” and “sassy” and “rude” to my man.

That takes us to yesterday.  I had been very rude, again (deep remorseful sigh) the day (Sunday) before.  I had gone off to bed in a huff and blamed it on the time change throwing me off.  That and just feeling plain grumpy.  Okay, I was doing my best to avoid anymore trouble.  I was tired, so I went to sleep quickly.  Now, we tend to get up early around here (we meaning hubby and me).    So he was getting ready and I know I needed a bit of a reset.  I prefer he takes care of things before he is dressed because he will usually let me lay over his lap.  I prefer that.  This was not about my preferences though.  He had me lay on the bed, which does not happen often.  I grabbed my pillow and crossed my ankles.  I had been told this helps and it does.  What I did not expect, was him putting my ankles between his thighs to keep me from moving.  I was pinned, folks.  That was really hard for me to take, but actually helped (for the most part) to stay in place.  I still managed to roll to my side at one point, but he was able to flip me right back and keep going without missing a beat (LOL, that pun was not intentional)

I have already been very vocal to all of you about really hating big Bertha, but let me mind those of you who may not know, I despise the bath brush.  My man likes wood.  He likes the way it thuds or he can keep a beat with it, who knows, because I sure do not.  He made it very well known to my backside that he did not appreciate in any way shape or form my attitude from the day before.  Well, funny thing happened as I lay there submitting.  With every swat I felt that attitude fleeing.  I felt the snarkiness run.  I felt the relief flood over me.  All the stress and grumpiness that lead to all the attitude, gone.   It was like I was released.

When it was over, yes, I had a mighty sore bum, but I had something more.  I like the idea of being centered, but also just peaceful.  I like that this gives me a way to reset my heart and mind and I feel like I can cope again.  That I can control myself, especially my tongue.  I went on to have a really good day.  I always have a few minor blow ups throughout the day, especially when I'm more tired during the evening hours, but they were minor.  I was able to feel my man's support as we called back and forth during the day to check on how things were going.  I was able to hear him talking words of encouragement (which I have a hard time doing when I'm having an attitude).  I do not believe I was rude to him during any of our phone calls.  He had a sweet, calm wife and our children had an attentive mommy who listened and did not become frustrated with them.  It works, folks.  It just works.  I do not pretend to know why, I just know it does.  I believe as time goes by my ability to be a repeat offender will be lessened considerably.  What do you think?  Have you found the longer you've done DD/TTWD that you find yourself less likely to be a repeat offender?

Thanks for stopping in for a visit.  I'm happy you came by.

--Baker

20 comments:

  1. Hi Baker, I think we are all repeat offenders out here. If we weren't we wouldn't keep getting our posteriors reheated. I agree too that everything is better afterwards, it is just with some of us the effects wear off too quick and back we go again.Have a good week
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan,
      I agree. I just think right now it feels like I'm always in trouble for the same cotton pickin' thing. Very frustrating. I try to remind myself that it's a process, but most of the time it appears that I am failing.
      --Baker

      Delete
  2. Baker,
    And to think you first worte to me that you were nervous about blogging! No more, Baker. I am a repeat offender on matters of speaking sweetly and my distancing when I am upset. Jack will bring me back in nano seconds.
    Each post gives more of a glimpse of you, and I like that.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still very nervous, Meredith, I doubt that will change anytime soon. Distancing is a tough one too. Thank you for your sweet words.
      --Baker

      Delete
  3. You're trying to control your mouth as I try to let mine go. Not within the family, I've always been okay there. But I was a wimp at work for so long its only been in the past few years I've been able to cut lose and tell it like it is. I'm honestly very polite, but I speak the truth and when people don't like it I don't care - it's lots of fun.

    I am not a fan of the bath brush. Some wood is okay, but I do love leather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PK,
      I can be blunt and I think that gets me in trouble when I do it disrespectfully. I do okay with wood, but I would love him to experiment with something else.
      --Baker

      Delete
  4. My man is a wood love also, me not so much...leather is more like it.
    I stopped being a repeat offender when we started maintenance spankings, they happen every Monday, and almost always involve wood....sets me up for a very clam week.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Abby,
      Maintenance helps me too. I'm glad it helps you have a calm week. I would love calmness to last a week at a time.
      --Baker

      Delete
  5. Good gravy, Baker...have no clue as to why you were so nervous to blog...love the way you write. Hmmm...repeat offender? Aren't we all? You might try counting when you are feeling snarky...sometimes works with me. What stops me most of the time is actually listening to what I am saying. Do I really want to say that to someone I care about? Would I want those words said to me? Good luck!

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you are so sweet, Cat, I'm really happy that you love the way I write. I am nervous because this is taking me out of my comfort zone and I do not like that at all. Great advice from a great lady. Thank you!
      --Baker

      Delete
  6. We're not consistent.... sometimes I may end up OTK, others not. I'm definitely a cheeky wee lass as my Scotsman often bellows! Repeat offender for sure!
    I'm sure it will get easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, there, Minelle,
      Your Scotsman yells that? It made me giggle! I do hope it gets easier, that's for sure!
      --Baker

      Delete
  7. Hi Baker, I am really enjoying your posts and getting to learn a little about you and your man. I too am a repeat offender with my mouth and attitude. It's how I earned the Scrappy Doo nickname, even though he's a boy lol. I digress...

    I absolutely love your last paragraph, sums it up perfectly, I'm so glad you are reaping the benefits of ttwd :) Old habits can and will raise their head from time to time.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roz,
      I'm so happy you are enjoying the posts. I love your nickname, it doesn't matter that he's a boy. I absolutely loved Scooby and the gang growing up. I am holding out hope that I will work my way further and further away from repeating the same offense.
      --Baker

      Delete
  8. I'm with the others and prefer leather, wood is a killer. Yep I think we're all repeat offenders even though we promise not to do it again.
    Good luck!
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindy,
      I'm so happy you stopped in to visit. My man was reading over my shoulder when I read your comment and he smiled at the wood is a killer comment. Yes, there are lots of promises on my part too during "the big event."
      --Baker

      Delete
  9. I think a lot of us here are repeat offenders, I know I am.

    I'm happy that the bath brush doesn't come into play much in our house. Give me the Leatherthorn paddle every time.

    Love your posts,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ronnie,
      I'm glad you are enjoying them.
      --Baker

      Delete
  10. Hi Baker, :) Repeat offender- only for little bits of attitude, things like that. Feisty kinds of things, land me OTK. The things that I know are very upsetting to Rob, behaviors that I used to have, such as taking over because I think I know better, those kinds of things- I am pretty vigilant about NOT repeating. I have worked hard to let go of those behaviours.

    The hairbrush is my least favourite implement. I can only imagine a spanking with a bath brush!!! Ummm. No thank you! I love the leather paddles that we have. A feather might be nice! LOL! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,
      No feathers here, that would be the real torture.
      --Baker

      Delete